Making financial contributions to the church is one way to express our gratitude to God. We give our financial resources through an annual stewardship commitment that recognizes the need to be good stewards of our time, talent and treasure to bring hope to the world.
Myers Park Presbyterian Church’s annual budget supports every aspect of our ministries and programs. Members’ commitments through time and money are multiplied in powerful ways: children and youth are nurtured, adults grow in faith through discipleship and relationships with one another, older adults are upheld and cared for, God’s name is praised through song and worship, the poor are given food, and the homeless receive shelter. All of that –and so much more – is made possible through our giving to the church. Although the church budget is funded by a variety of different sources, 94% comes from pledges. Every gift makes a difference, no matter the size.
2021 Annual Stewardship Commitment
Stewardship is about being grateful, responsible stewards of the gifts we receive from God. Making a pledge is a tangible way to express our faith and to lead a balanced spiritual life. When each of us gives what we are able, together we fund ministry within our church, our community, and our world.
By submitting a pledge, you are providing an estimate of giving of future dollars (gifts made between January 1- December 31, 2021), allowing MPPC the ability to accurately assess and plan next year’s budget and what we can do for ministry and mission in the coming year. The church leadership is committed to living within our means and ensuring that every gift makes a difference. Understanding each family’s commitment through a pledge provides insight for the Finance Committee.
How do I fulfill my pledge?
Contributions towards a pledge can be made from January 1 through December 31. There are many ways to fulfill a pledge:
- Cash or Check – Checks should be sent to the finance office with “pledge” written in the memo field.
- Online – Visit the Member Portal to make a one-time gift or to set-up a recurring gift.
- Text to Give – Text 704-312-7540 and then the amount and fund (e.g. $100 GF2021)
- IRA – If you are over 70.5 years of age, you can make a contribution from your mandatory minimum withdrawal. Contact the financial institution that manages your IRA. Please note that this contribution must come directly from your IRA trustee.
- Stock Transfer – Gifts of stock are welcome and the process is simple. Please contact Deborah Banks at Foundation for the Carolinas at firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-973-4577.
- Sunday Plate Offering – The plate offering that is passed in worship is distributed to different outreach partners, but that funding does not support the church’s operating budget. This model of giving is unique to Myers Park Presbyterian Church and is a significant funding source for our partners.
The endowment fund is a permanent source of capital that is used to support the ministries of MPPC by enriching and deepening our programs with an eye to the future.
Managing the Endowment
The Foundation for the Carolinas provides investment services for the endowment fund. Our ministry teams collaborate with the Endowment Committee to decide how the funds are distributed. FFTC has more than $2.5 billion in charitable assets and is one of the largest community foundations in the United States. MPPC selected FFTC because of their outstanding track record and their innovative leadership for nonprofits. Their money management provides a service that MPPC would not be able to achieve on their own.
Our endowment is comprised of multiple funds that support specific ministry areas of the church. These include:
- Undesignated – Provides flexibility to support the greatest unfunded needs
- Outreach – Helps to fund ministry partners’ greatest needs both locally and globally
- Worship and Music –Provides support to ensure inspiring worship and music
- Faith formation – Supports the church’s growing children’s and youth ministries and vital adult education
- Congregational Life – Gifts help to fund pastoral care and wellness ministries
- Administration of Facilities – Helps support the upkeep and ongoing improvements of our beautiful campus
- Vocational and Denominational Support –as one of the largest church’s in our denomination, we are called to support mission work and ensure the denomination’s future
Become a Legacy Partner
Supporting the endowment is a wonderful opportunity to leave a planned gift by becoming a Legacy Partner—the society that was established to recognize the members who have made a provision for the church in their estate plans. Legacy gifts—whether large or small—combine to create a vision of abundance for the church’s future, ensuring the continued vitality of its mission and ministries long after we are gone.
Legacy Partners provide an opportunity for our members to make a bequest that reflects his or her values, priorities, and gratitude for God’s blessings. Click here for the statement of bequest form.