Mission: Roof Above is a community based organization dedicated to bringing the community together to end homelessness, one life at a time. Reminding one another, that the solution to homelessness is housing.
Vision: To serve as the catalyst for systemic change to end homelessness in our community.
Population Served: Men and women living without consistent, affordable, or reliable shelter.
History: In May of 2019 The Men’s Shelter of Charlotte and Urban Ministry Center combined forces to address the social injustice of homelessness in our shared community. The Men’s Shelter of Charlotte and Urban Ministry Center worked in collaboration since the early 90’s to house vulnerable members of our community. The recent merge of these two incredible organizations will result in an increased number of neighbors served with combined resources and a unified voice that will move the needle on ending homelessness.
- Basic Services & Soup Kitchen – Roof Above serves a hot, nutritious lunch 365 days a year, even in the face of terrible weather and ever-increasing demand. With a 35-year history, it remains the largest, oldest Charlotte soup kitchen. Roof Above welcomes anyone who is in need of a meal, regardless of the person’s circumstance, with no questions asked. They also provide showers, laundry, mail, I.D. assistance and other essential services. It’s our way of affirming the dignity of each homeless neighbor.
- Saber – This unique substance abuse program in Charlotte provides hope and a home, including intensive outpatient treatment, continuing care, support and a place to live. SABER is a nine-month journey toward self-sufficiency. The program and its residents achieve a 55% success rate after nine months, compared with a national average of 20% for other substance abuse programs. And 85% complete SABER’s three-month intensive treatment. It’s a model that works.
- Street Outreach – While over 700 people are coming to Roof Above’s multiple locations each day, there are still many who do not reach out to any agency for services. Their Outreach and Engagement team searches the streets, woods and other places not meant for human habitation looking for the most vulnerable of our homeless neighbors. Once connected, they begin to build a relationship with each and help them on the path to housing.
- Permanent Supportive Housing (HousingWorks) – Three different pathway options give the most vulnerable individuals what they desperately need: a safe, stable, affordable home and the support to succeed. HousingWorks targets individuals who have been homeless the longest and are the most vulnerable. A very specialized and caring team helps individuals transition from long-term homelessness to housing and provides support to help ensure the people never again become homeless.
- Community Education – Roof Above believes that ending homelessness in Charlotte involves sharing stories, knowledge and first-hand experiences with businesses, congregations and other community groups. We provide a speaker’s bureau, workshops and unique programs such as “My Name is Rachel” and “Walk in My Shoes.” We can bring education to you and we also invite groups to our center.
If you would like to learn more about Roof Above and the many ways to support this organization, please click here. Or email Genie Richards, Local Outreach Coordinator at GRichards@myersparkpres.org.